We want our children to be confident, independent, lifelong learners and we offer a curriculum that is planned to challenge, engage and inspire children of all abilities. Using the National Curriculum and former strategies for Literacy and Maths as a basis, we believe in providing opportunities for children to learn through a cross curricular approach; making links between subjects and applying their skills across all areas of their work. We have high expectations of the children and of ourselves and the curriculum is therefore designed to
- Take account of children’s different abilities, learning styles and interests.
- Provide first hand experiences and creative opportunities.
- Build on children’s prior knowledge so that teaching enables the best progress to be made.
- Develop key skills such as speaking and listening, citizenship, ICT, perseverance, empathy, cultural awareness, research enquiry and critical thinking; preparing children for the next stage of their learning and for the diverse and technological world in which they will be living and working.
- Promote the importance of good health, exercise and personal wellbeing.
At Heatherside, children currently learn French in Year 3, 4 and 5 and Spanish in Year 6. Music is taught by a specialist teacher and we are proud of the standards achieved. Many children have additional lessons with Hampshire Music Service, which adds further to our music provision.
Personal, social and health education is an integral part of our curriculum and through activities such as drama, discussion and circle time children learn the skills to help them make positive choices about their lives. Sport also features highly at Heatherside, both as part of the PE curriculum but also through clubs, fixtures and Active8. We promote the British Values throughout the curriculum; please click here for more information British Values at Heatherside Junior School
Termly Curriculum Overviews are sent home for each year group and these can be found on the Year Group Links to the right.